These days, we don’t have to sacrifice flavor for function! Thank goodness, because around here we’re a bunch of foodies. We love good food: growing it, cooking it, eating it, and most importantly sharing it. At Greenjoy, we believe that in its purity food is about community. People coming together to nourish their bodies and their souls.
At the onset of the hot summer months, we eagerly anticipate the vibrant and flavorful yield from our burgeoning garden. The first sight of a fledgling fruit or vegetable sprouting out means homegrown meals are right around the corner. We’re not unlike kids on Christmas eve, but ‘hey’ can you blame us? It’s our life’s mission to Make Veggies Irresistible because when you love good, healthy food, it loves you back!
Growing your own garden is a perfect way to connect the nutrients in the food to how they fuel and sustain our bodies. Whether your garden is growing in pots on a patio, rooted in raised beds or just sprouting up on a sill you can enjoy fresh produce and spark health and culinary creativity at the same time! We have go-to summer seasonal recipes that we make every year and due to peak ripeness, the fruits and vegetables are packed with flavor and nutrition. These recipes are simple and beautiful which is what summer is all about!
Figs are such a naturally sweet treat and pair perfectly with both sweet and savory dishes. A classic way to incorporate them is in a fresh summer salad which can be the main feature for a lighter lunch or a beautiful complement to any foodie spread. This recipe is easy and can be quickly thrown together if you’re in a pinch. Kids also love making this and have fun seeing the vibrant color of the figs when sliced.
Fresh Fig Summer Salad
- 4-5 large figs
- 5 cups of baby arugula
- 2 ounces of crumbled goat cheese
- ½ cup Classic Garlic Superfood Mix
- 4-5 tbsp Greenjoy Blackberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Cut stems from figs and slice in quarters.
- Toss baby arugula with Greenjoy Superfood Mix and half of the Greenjoy Blackberry Balsamic Vinaigrette. Arrange figs on the top of the salad and lightly drizzle each with a little of the remaining dressing.
- Finish with crumbled goat cheese and a sprinkle of cracked black pepper.
Ok, we get that beets are an acquired taste but it’s undeniable that they are superfood powerhouses. Loaded with fiber, iron, vitamin C, and folate, they pack a serious punch of nutrients. And prepared in the right way, they might just surprise you with how delicious they can be. When we make this salad at home, we 100% play The Go-Go’s, We Got the Beat triggering a spontaneous dance party. Give this Brilliant Beet Salad and a spontaneous dance party a try!
Brilliant Beet Salad
- 4 medium beets
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 4 tbsp Greenjoy Pomegranate Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Cut the tops off the beets. Place the beets in a large pot and cover with 2″ of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to low and cook for 40-45 minutes.
- Set the beets aside and allow to cool. Peel the beets once they are cool to the touch.
- Cut the beets into 1″ pieces.
- Divide the beets into 4 small salad bowls.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and chopped cilantro.
- Add Greenjoy Pomegranate Balsamic Vinaigrette
Staying hydrated during the summer is always a battle. With everyone being more active and the soaring temperatures it’s recommended eating hydrating foods along with increasing your water intake. Watermelon is 92% water, which is a great place to start. Complement with some fresh cucumbers and mint from the garden and mix up this refreshing dish.
Refreshing Watermelon Cucumber Salad
- 3 cups watermelon cubed
- 1 1/2 cups sliced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons mint thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the watermelon, cucumber, and mint in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the melon mixture and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with feta and enojy.
At Greenjoy, we always recommend incorporating fresh, flavorful ingredients into every meal and during the summer we have a ton of delicious options! These recipes are just a few of our favorite Summer Salads and they taste as good as they look. Of course, topping any veggie with our Greenjoy Superfood Dressings is a sure-fire way to add flavor to any dish. Go on and add some magic to your meal!
To find out what produce is in season in your area, visit The Seasonal Food Guide.
If you make any of these recipes, tag us @greenjoylife so we can feature your culinary creation!